Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Waiting

It's quiet here in the waiting area. Now that the nurses have stopped asking questions and bustling about.  Now that they took my sweet baby away to fix her brain. Now, it's just me and my thoughts while I wait four hours to get the call that the surgeon is finished disconnecting half of Harper's brain.

We were up bright and early this morning. We had to be at the hospital at 5:30am.  Seriously?  But once we got here, things moved pretty quickly.  There was the anesthesiologist, a variety of nurses and we spoke to the neurosurgeon. I feel confident about the team of professionals working on Harper and it was comforting to meet all of them in person.

The moment I had to say goodbye to Harper was heart wrenching as I knew it would be.  I've been thinking a lot about what it would be like to kiss her little forehead for the last time and watch the nurses carry her away. It was, as you would expect, difficult.  I cried.  Then, I wiped away those tears, focused on a positive outcome, and came here to wait.

We are supposed to get a call every hour with an update on how the surgery is going.  I'll try to post here if we hear anything interesting. We expect the surgery to take about four hours and then Harper will be moved to the ICU and we will be able to see her immediately.

Thanks to everyone who has called, emailed, Facebooked, texted, prayed and sent positive energy our way. We would be lost and lonely without all of our wonderful friends and family around to support us.

Here's what Dave is up to:


I think I'll be joining him soon...

2 comments:

  1. Thinking about you sibby. I'm checking in as often as I can. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm anxiously waiting to hear how her surgery went. I have been praying all day for wisdom for the surgeons, healing for Harper, and comfort for you all.

    ReplyDelete