Thursday, December 8, 2011

Holding Pattern

It's day 2 of Operation Seizure Free Harper.

Time passes at a strange pace when you're at the hospital.  At some points, it feels like the day is dragging, minutes passing at a snail's pace.  Other times, when the doctors are on rounds and the nurses are popping in and out for scheduled meds and vital checks, an hour or more will fly by in the blink of an eye.  That's pretty much how it's gone today - a few quick hours and a bunch of loooooong ones.

The swelling in Harper's head is much more dramatic this morning.  Her right eye is even swollen shut.  I've been reassured that's normal, but it is pretty grotesque. I already thought her scar had a Frankenstein quality to it and now with the swelling, my comparison isn't too far off.  But, of course, I love my little Frankenbaby!


She still seems to be in pain, although we've been able to spread out her morphine to every 2-4 hours instead of every hour like yesterday.  But, it's making her itchy. Of course, one drug begets another.  We've given her some benadryl and she seems more comfortable. Her pacifier has been a lifesaver too. She's able to suck it much better today and she has been grabbing it and putting it in her mouth all by herself.

Her hemoglobin had dropped this morning so she received a blood transfusion. They were worried that this could indicate a bleed in her head, but a CT indicated that everything is fine. The blood loss was probably just residual from surgery. Whew!

Overall, it's been a pretty mundane day, which is just fine with me. We had quite a few friends and family here yesterday, but today has been quiet in terms of visitors. I've enjoyed the time to rest and read, but I hope to see some friendly faces in the next few days.

Meanwhile, at home, Eliza has been hanging out with her Mimi, having a grand old time getting 24 hour one on one adult attention! She has been pointing at Harper's crib and high chair saying, "sissy?" As soon as Harper gets out of ICU and into a regular room, we'll bring Eliza up here so she can see what's going on.

I'm on the overnight shift tonight. It's like having a newborn all over again! ;)

Still no seizures!  Wahoo!

9 comments:

  1. So glad Harper's surgery went well. We'll be praying for a quick recovery and no seizures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that she has been seizure free. Hope she heals quickly. That is very sweet that Eliza is asking where her sissy is. I hope you are getting some rest. Prayers still coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything sounds like it's going great so far! I'm so happy to hear this. Thanks for sharing and spending the time updating us all. Like you aren't busy enough. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still praying! We miss you guys in music!!!! What a sweet beautiful baby girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am praying for Harper and all of you.
    Miss ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The days in the hospital are long...I agree! She looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent news! So happy for you guys and glad to see Harper look like she's resting peacefully, just hope you'll do a little of the same whenever you can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear she's responding well! I'm happy to come by tomorrow or Saturday. Text me at 512-426-7068 if I can bring you a coffee or snack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor little Frankeniece. Sounds like you're hanging in there. So glad to hear there have not been seizures so far! I'm keeping all my fingers and toes crossed that that continues. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete