Wednesday, December 7, 2011

On the other side

As Aunt Lenny said in her previous post, surgery went perfectly as planned and Harper is now recovering in the PICU.


I literally almost passed out when I saw her - she is so pale and has a huge scar along the right side of her head. It is hard to see your baby in obvious pain. She has woken up a few times crying and uncomfortable and the nurses have quickly given her morphine and then she drifts back into the beyond.  We expect her to be like that for about 24-48 hours.

Her scar is starting to swell a little bit and they said her right eye might swell shut.  She's on steroids to help with that.  She is moving her left leg a little and wiggling her left toes!  It's awesome that she's already doing that.  We knew there would be some left side weakness but weren't sure to what extent.  The fact that she has already started showing movement on the left side bodes well for her in terms of a starting place post-op.  Oh, and so far, no seizures!!!


Dave and I are exhausted.  I managed to grab a little nap once we got into the room, but I will sleep good tonight, I know it!  Dave is going to stay here at the hospital overnight and I'm going to head back home to be with Eliza.

More tomorrow....

6 comments:

  1. I am so happy to hear that things went well. I've been glued to your blog. What a gorgeous little trooper! Get some rest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear the surgery went as planned. Praying for her as she recovers, and I hope you get some good rest tonight. Prayers and love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Natalie - You, Dave, and Harper have been on so many minds at the office today! That is great news that she's recovering and is receiving such fabulous care! Prayers & hugs to you!!! - Jamie P.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a relief! Thanks for sharing. Yeah Harper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she has done so well! Julia's swelling really peaked about 4 days after surgery. I know its so hard to see them so out of it and in pain...hang in there. That's awesome that she was already moving her left side, and hooray for no seizures!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can completely understand why you almost passed out -- that scar is shocking! But I'm so glad she's doing well post-surgery! Yay Harper!

    ReplyDelete