Thursday, August 11, 2011

Uncensored Truth

A picture never tells the whole story.


Things have been difficult here at Twingate Central.

Harper started having seizures a few months ago and things have spiraled out of control since then.  Her seizures are more like full body spasms.  They cause her left arm to flail up and her body to lurch forward.  Often she hits her head on whatever she is sitting behind.  It is very hard to watch.  Furthermore, we have been cycling through various medications to try and control her seizures.  They cause side effects which Harper cannot tell me about so she mostly whines and is upset all day.

Eliza is crawling.  I am so proud of her and, yet, it only serves as a reminder of all that Harper could be doing.

Eliza sleeps through the night.  Harper wakes up once or twice most nights, her sleep interrupted by a seizure.  I'm still exhausted.  I drink a lot of caffeine.

Eliza babbles all day and says several words, including "bear" and "daddy".  Harper screams.

Harper now has 5 therapists helping her with various areas of development.  There is a therapist at our house at least once, sometimes twice, a day.  I'm always in my pajamas.  Her seizures have halted her progress and the hours of therapy we endure feel like slogging through mud.  It's a full time job coordinating our therapy appointments and doctor visits.

It's too freaking hot to even think about going outside.  We are going stir crazy in the house.  Many days, I just load the girls in the car and drive up and down Shoal Creek for 45 minutes so I can have a few minutes to myself.  Sometimes I listen to NPR, but most of the time, the news just depresses me  more.

After the girls go to bed, I zonk out on the couch and watch TV for a couple of hours before I pass out.  We eat take-out more than I would like to admit.

I wonder what Harper will be like in 20 years.  I'm afraid I will never experience empty nest syndrome because she will be dependent on us forever.  It is extremely hard for me to admit this.

That, dear readers, is the uncensored truth.  I haven't posted lately because I have been finding it hard to be positive and I'm too frustrated to be hopeful.  I'm embarrassed about this.  I know Harper and Eliza need me to be upbeat and do everything I can to create an environment where they can be successful.  I truly feel like I am doing that.  But only through my actions.  My emotion is elsewhere.  In a dank, dark space, far from the exersaucer and play mat.

Parenting is a marathon, not a sprint.  I'm sure this is just a rocky time and we will pull out of it and move on to happier things.  But, until then, this is a tough place to be.

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this, Natalie. Can I bring you some ice cream this weekend?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Natalie - you are my hero. I have felt emotions like despair simply parenting my healthy singleton. You have my complete respect for the feats of mental and physical strength you display EVERY DAY. Give yourself the credit you deserve and please continue to let your friends and family know when you need support. We're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so proud of you my sibby - for what a good mom you are, for your strength, for your enduring love, and for your everlasting energy. Even if you think negative thoughts, you keep acting in positive ways. That is ultimate strength. As Liz Weaver once said: "Sometimes being a great mom is not killing your child".

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honesty is the first step to learning how to cope, how to thrive. A great quality of life should never be earned without some pain and sorrow to give contrapoint to the ecstacy.

    You have everything you could ever need to do the best any one could ever do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, I didn't realize all this was going on! Dear girl, find someone to come help you for an hour so you can go read a book or get to Target. It's hard even for those with healthy children, much less twins. I know a touch of what you are going through, but I can't relate to the seizures. You may or may not know or remember about Presley's heart troubles when she was little. I was with her for ten days in Texas Childrens and finally asked Tim to stay the weekend so I could go get some sleep. And Paxton's feeding troubles in the NICU...not a fun experience. I was lucky not to have to deal with their health problems long term. Presley had her surgery and was cleared by her cardiologist. Paxton's cleft is now repaired, and he's done with ECI and speech therapy. So, I hope you get the same light at the end of the tunnel. I agree with Gabrielle...sometimes being a good parent means not going postal. I am thinking of you and sending positive vibes your and Harper's way. Make sure you cut yourself a little slack. Love and (((hugs)))!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your support. It makes me feel better just to write it all down, but it is an added bonus to have so many kind and encouraging words from friends and family. I truly appreciate having you all in my life.

    ReplyDelete