Monday, June 7, 2010

Stop. Bottle Time!!

Dave and I have been busy shuttling between the house and the hospital to see the girls. We are now able to hold them twice a day each for 30 minutes during feeding times. One of those times they get to nuzzle at my breast and one time they get to try to eat a bottle. I say try because they don't quite know what to do yet. We are told that the suck/swallow reflex does not develop until around 34-35 weeks gestational age. The girls are just now 33 weeks. But, the NICU nurses and doctors are big proponents of exposing the babies to the breast and bottle early on so they will start to know the different ways to feed. Just so you can see what I mean, here are videos of both Harper and Eliza trying to eat their bottles. You will see the looks of utter confusion on their faces. They are definitely starting to show different personalities. Harper is very tactile and is always flailing around her hands and wanting to grab onto things. Eliza is very calm and rarely gets upset - even when they are putting in an IV!

More soon...

Eliza:




Harper:

6 comments:

  1. NATALIE! OMG! You're a parent! I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuteness!!! I cried a little, I'll be honest.

    Also, I'm pretty sure Harper rolled her eyes at her daddy. Girlhood has begun!! ;-)

    Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing and wonderful. You guys were busy while I was in China. Looks like the babies are doing well during these important first weeks. Hope you and Dave are getting some rest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! That is just precious! You guys are so sweet with them. I'm thinking they may look like Dave, but of course I can only truly judge when I get to see them up close and in person!: ) So glad to see the video, will look forward to more!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete